At Oak Wood Primary School, we understand that wider development is what is needed to ensure our pupils received the very best enrichment opportunities.
A culture of enrichment ensures that all practitioners are constantly striving to identify opportunities to provide wider development. Opportunities to develop not only learning and understanding experiences, but also experiences that support Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural experiences and prepare our children for the next stage in their life. Forging links with communities, accessing activities they can enjoy and developing the independence to access these.
In addition to a Broad and Balanced Curriculum that encompasses a wide range of subjects we look for opportunities to provide additional experiences for example:
Weekly swimming sessions at the local swimming pool
- School Council – The democratically elected pupil council ensuring all the voices and views of children are heard
- Weekly music sessions- led by music teachers from Warwickshire county music and Oak Staff.
- Emotional regulation sessions and Protective behaviour session which support
- 1:1 Life skills development
- Warwickshire sings- Children took part in a performance with other local schools.
- Theatre production visits – to watch productions based on traditional tales.
- SEND Active events– children take part in a variety of sporting competitions e.g.; football cross country, agility, curling, trampolining, tag rugby against other special schools as part of a local community service
- SKY Blues run a football and multi-sport lunch time club
- Coventry Rugby- weekly rugby and reading sessions
- Culture workshops -e.g. Chinese New Year dancers and drummers
- Rotary club- extra curricular trips.
- Music 1:1s or in groups- Children work with specialists from the Warwickshire music service and explore musicality and develop target skills